You might find that you are unable to access secure sites on a personal device after you have joined a laptop to the wireless network in a school. You will be able to browse to non-secure websites (example: http://www.edugeek.co.uk) but some SSL (secure) websites might show a security warning when you try browsing to them.
Follow the steps below to resolve this.
1) Make sure the laptop is connected to the school wireless network. Open Google Chrome.
2) Browse to http://smoothwall.aaat.uk/modules/guardian3/mitm/
3) On the page that opens, click the Advanced button, and choose the Proceed link.
4) On the next page, click the Download Certificate link and click the Keep button if prompted.
5) Click the arrow next to the download, and click Open.
6) In the popup that appears, click Open.
7) Click Install Certificate on the window that appears. In the next window, choose the Local Machine option and click Next.
8) On the next screen, select the Place all certificates in the following store, click Browse, choose Trusted Root Certification Authorities, and finally click OK and Next.
9) Click Finish. The certificate should be correctly installed. You will see a confirmation. Click OK.
10) Close and re-open the Google Chrome browser and you should be able to browser SSL (secure) websites as normal.